Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Aunt Maki

If you've been around long enough to hear many "Gretchen" stories then you know I grew up thinking I was part Japanese. I was embaressingly old when I realized that while my beautiful, exotic, and exciting cousins were half Japanese, I had absolutely no Japanese blood in my veins. (Well, techniquely our family trees all have the same root, but that's an arguement for another time.)

I grew up very proud that I had a Japanese Aunt. Complete with the inability to speak English (when I was younger). I loved every moment spent with this fascinating woman. Everything from the way she spoke, the words I didn't understand, the strange smells from the kitchen, and the colorful way she decorated. Growing up I thought she was the most exotic and exciting woman I ever met...she even smoked...AND she was related to me!

It's been years since I heard my aunt's voice. I settled for my brother's excellent impersonation of her. I regret not being more proactive in maintaining a relationship with her after my uncle passed away several years ago. She'll never know the impact her presence made on my life. I have so much to be thankful for because of her. I am amazed at how God has truly blessed me through this woman I can't claim to have ever really known. For one thing, she gave birth to 3 beautiful girls who grew up being my mentors and my reason for wishing I too was Japanese. I love my cousins like sisters. My uncle, their father, died when I was in Junior High and they were newly weds. I've always felt like our families meshed in a special and unique way at that point through my father.

I'm writing this blog today in honor of my Aunt Maki who passed away in my cousin's arms early on Tuesday morning. I do not have words for the sense of awe, imagination, excitement, and pride I derived from this strong woman. Thank you, God, for your wisdom in geneology, for your guidance of a young service man so many years ago, and for the servants who were born out of that union.

ge

神はあなたが植えた種およびあなたを賛美する。
God bless you and the seeds you planted.

2 comments:

Rebekah Scott, M.MFT, LPC, LMFTA said...

GE - I am glad I read this I don't think I realized how much Aunt Maki meant to you and influenced your life. I am glad that you now get to honor her with your life.

Sharon said...

Ok- you made me cry! I love you!;)
You are part Japanese- didn't you know that?!